Flapper Style - Dec. 08

Flapper Style - Dec. 08
103 kilos - This is the first photo I've had taken in years that I actually like!!!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

YAHOOOOO Walking Challenge Finished

Back in October, I signed up for a "Walk NZ" challenge at work. Teams of 4, using pedometers, counting steps and walking from Auckland/Invercargill/Auckland. We had a long list of activities for which we were awarded extra steps. I knew from the previous year that the challenge got quite competitive between some of the teams and I didn't want to be the one to let my team down - you know - "fat, old Lyn down in Searching..." so basically I got quite annal about the whole thing. Went from doing bascially no exercise, to being a regular gym bunny, visiting gym 5/6 times per week; set myself a goal of 15,000 steps per day and if I didn't reach that target, walked round and round the garage or garden at 10.00 pm at night to get there!!! How sad is that?? The rowing machine that is stored in the rumpus room finally saw some action; the garden never looked so good; lawns were mowed; windows sparkled, spent hours at gym using cross trainers, bicycles and doing circuits - all for extra steps. Didn't keep the momentum up of course. I lasted at that pace until beginning of December, and then life took over and steps and exercise waned.

But I wasn't doing it on my own, we were a team of 4, and this morning steps were entered and WE CROSSED THE FINISH LINE. I am soooooo pleased to be finished. I am sick of my day being organised by how many steps I have done. Took great pleasure in removing my pedometer this morning.

I will just add here - total boast, but hey this is my blog, written by me about me and if I can't boast here where can I? In spite of my fears I did my fair share in relation to ordinary steps ie. my steps equated to a quarter of the teams overall figure but with regard to steps awarded for extra activities I did over HALF of the team total, so I feel real good about that.

Final outcome - team finished 4th out of 16 so not too shabby. More than happy with that.

This challenge really did get me motivated and moving. So now I just need to make sure that I keep the exercise up, although maybe not at the same breakneck momentum. I must not fall back to my couch potato ways!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment